In most cases, house fires are accidents that in many cases, not all, could have been avoided. Unfortunately, due to the nature of life, accidents do happen despite our best efforts. We at Disaster Response want to help you avoid a house fire as much as possible, but are here for you if you should need fire damage restoration services in West Michigan. Today, we are continuing last week’s short blog series; read on to learn about five more causes of house fires.

Faulty Wiring

Faulty electrical wiring is the root of many electrical fires, especially in older homes, with old or insufficient wiring by today’s standards. Electrical fires can also start due to air conditioners and other large appliances not receiving the preventative maintenance that they need. To avoid a fire started by faulty wiring:

  • When you move into a older home, have the wiring inspected for possible damage, to see if it is up to code, and if it needs an upgrade.
  • Follow preventative maintenance suggested by professionals.
  • Invest in needed upgrades.

Barbeques

Everyone loves a barbecue until it is the culprit of a house fire. To avoid disaster, use your barbeque away from trees, overhangs of your home, and other flammable objects. Also, keep paper plates and other flammable cooking utensils away from the barbeque. Other suggestions to lower your risk of accident include:

  • Follow all suggested maintenance of your grill.
  • Clean your grill regularly.
  • Check the gas tank for any leaks.

Flammable Liquids

Many homeowners have, especially in workshops, more flammable liquids around their home than they probably realize. Even liquids such as nail polish can, in some cases, become flammable. Keep an alert eye as to what household items could be flammable and store them away from possible heat sources. We suggest:

  • Check the label of aerosols, cleaners, weed killers, and other substances when you purchase them to know what safety precautions should be taken.
  • Be careful when pouring.
  • Clean up spills.

Lighting

Though most modern light fixtures are prone to catching fire, keeping an eye on your lights can be useful. Some lights can build up so much heat that lamp shades can catch fire. However, most modern lamp fixtures are not in harm’s way. To avoid a fire:

  • Inspect old light fixtures for heat or wiring issues.
  • Install energy-efficient light bulbs and light fixtures.
  • Update old fixtures.

Children

We love our children and their curious minds, but unfortunately, they are sometimes the cause of a house fire. Not only can they accidentally knock or pull lit candles off tables and onto carpet floors, but when children grow older, they can sometimes experiment with matches, lighters, and other flammable objects. We suggest:

  • Keeping lit candles, matches, lighters, and other fire starters out of reach of children.
  • Teach your children about fire safety including the dangers of fire starters and what to do in case there is a fire.
  • Create a fire escape plan.

This concludes this short blog series about common house fire starters. We hope that you found this blog interesting and helpful for protecting your home and family in West Michigan. We hope you never have to experience a house fire, but we want you to know that we will be there for you if it does with 24-hour emergency response services. We understand that when disaster strikes that starting the assessment and cleanup process right away is crucial not only to avoid additional damage, but to get you back into your restored home as soon as possible. Visit our website to learn more about Disaster Response and our fire damage restoration services and contact us now!

Learn More